Skip to content

Village of Sleetmute


Sleetmute was founded by Ingalik Indians. The name means "wetstone people," referring to the slate deposits found nearby. The village has also been known as Sikmiut, Steelmut and Steitmute. In the early 1830s the Russians built a trading post at the Holitna River junction 1.5 miles away - but it was relocated far downriver in 1841. Frederick Bishop started a trading post at Sleetmute in 1906. A school opened in 1921, followed by a post office in 1923. A Russian Orthodox Church was constructed in 1931, The Saints Peter & Paul Mission. 

Click Enlarge Map and then Click Nearby to see all restaurants, gas stations, hotels...etc nearby. This may not appear on phone view

Additional Info

USGS Region : Alaska



Sandra Greger

Powered By GrowthZone
Scroll To Top